Prince was adopted by the Ragsdale family, and we are so happy for this handsome, blue-eyed charmer. Prince was from Louisiana and previous family had to find him a new home due to health issues. He got lots of TLC and beach strolls with his foster parents Leo and Victoria of Corpus Christi – thank you! We love this dog savvy family and Prince joins Harley, the greyhound, for lots of new adventures.
Prince is truly a prince with two stunning blue eyes, a gentle disposition, Velcro personality, and anxious to please although not always knowing just exactly how to do that. He is red Merle male, neutered, HW negative, currently 62 pounds—down from 65 and needing to be about 50 pounds.
Prince is about 4 1/2 years old from Louisiana. His previous family had to find him a new home at no fault of his own and due to some family health issues. He made it to his foster home in Corpus Christi via five transfers over a two-day period, but he was a champ, and everyone remarked how easy going and easy traveling he was. During his tenure with STAR, he has traveled well, loads, and unloads on his own, and absolutely wants to go along whether on a quick trip to the store or an all-day adventure.
Some things to know about Prince:
- He is housebroken and will advise of the need to go out by sitting quietly at the door.
- Crate trained but would prefer to be right next to you.
- Gets along great with other dogs and has clearly become one of the fur-crew in his foster home and will interact with/play with the others frequently amidst long naps during the day.
- He loves to go for walks, easily summoned with merely jangling of the harness and leash. He is a steady walker, doesn’t pull while still wanting to lead, is not much of a sniffer, and is not reactive to other people, dogs, bicycles, or golf carts.
- He adores one-on-one attention especially in the early morning and evening—an invitation to the couch is met with a happy jump, a firm drop of the head on your lap, and an eventual sigh of relief and bodily relaxation
- He is appropriately protective of family and property with some barking that subsides fairly quickly.
- He is good with some basic commands (no, sit, stay), moderately compliant with others (stay, place, free), and increasingly treat motivated.
- He can be hesitant with new objects or activities—some patience and re-presentation are generally successful.
Overall, he is a medium energy dog that loves to follow and be your shadow without interfering. Upon arriving at his foster home, he got what might have been his first ever groom and a couple good baths and as a result, he is relatively long haired with “wispy” legs and feet along with a “hula skirt” rear end and typical Aussie tail nub. He is expressive with that nub even though it can be hard to see at first. With more weight loss and some basic grooming, he will look like a typical stunning Aussie.
Overall, he is a handsome, loving and medium energy dog that wants to be your shadow. To apply for Prince, please go to “Adopt” on our website, read about our adoption program, and complete an application.
Tip your hat to Prince… 4.5 year old, 60 lb. chunky monkey red merle male..His owners had severe medical issues and were unable to care for him. His foster home is in Corpus Christi and already plans daily walks on the beach and a diet.. He will be going to the vet in the near future to update his vaccinations.. Prince should be available for adoption around the middle of September..
Recent Happy Tails Aussies
Chief, STAR #1856
Chief, STAR #1856 caught the eye of Valerie and Jason, who were looking to add an Australian Shepherd to their crew. Our little freckled nose handsome boy quickly won their heart...
Sagan, STAR #1850
Sagan, STAR #1850 has found his home! The Thompson family are happy to join the STAR family and Marley is so excited to have a new playmate. Sagan and Marley hit it off right away ...
April 2, STAR # 1857
April is heading home with Julie and will join her and husband Charlie as an only dog (for now...) April will fill the hole that was left in this family’s heart when their last...
Rome, STAR # 1843
Rome has finally completed his heartworm treatment and been adopted by past adopters, Kim and Wayne .. They waited patiently for him to be totally healthy.. and are very excited fo...
Nettie Jill, STAR #1302
Jill was returned to STAR after being adopted in 2016 as the family was no longer able to keep her. In stepped Sara to foster for STAR and she quickly welcomed Jill into her home w...
Suzy, STAR #1841
Suzy's foster home is now her forever home. Thank you, Carol for taking such good care of this sweet soul, helping her through heartworm treatment, and giving her your love. Suzy j...
Harley Blue, STAR #1335
Harley Blue (r) is heading off with Creek (STAR #1030 ’13) to enjoy life with Alumni and STAR volunteer, Julie. Harley had been adopted in 2016, but they were unable to keep hi...
Roper, STAR #1845
Roper is heading home with the Vandeveer Family. This Aussie savvy family are ready to welcome him to their household and so is new fur buddy brother, Sydney (left). Fun in the Tex...