Scout came to STAR for being “too much” for his elderly owners and needed a weight loss plan. Scout is two years old and weighs approx. 60 lbs. He is neutered, vaccinated and chipped.. He’s done great in his foster home and is ready for adoption. From his foster mom:
- Gets along well with other dogs and will tolerate rough-house play
- Ignores the dog-savvy cats
- Is fed next to other dog and does not show food aggression
- No counter surfing observed
- Goes into crate with promise of treat and praise
- Sweet and loving-loves to be petted and have his belly rubbed
- Nervous in the bathtub but tolerates being bathed
- Tolerates being brushed
- Low-Medium energy
- Knows command “sit” and working on “watch me” and “wait”
- Completely house-broken
- Does not chew on items other than his toys or bones
- Will not climb onto furniture unless invited.
- Is doing well on his weight loss plan
Things to work on with positive-reinforcement training:
- Previous owner noted he was afraid of loud noises-he does not like the vacuum (does any Aussie?)
- Can be mouthy – occasionally has tried to grab the foster mom’s hand with mouth
- Gets VERY excited when foster mom comes home from work or when foster mom lets him out of the crate-demonstrates this by barking and jumping
- Sometimes barks when he is outside-this occurs more often in the morning
- Pulls on leash when walking
- Jumps on people
- Not kid tested
- Needs to continue on a weight loss plan
- Takes a bit to warm up to new people
Scout will do well in a home with another dog. He will occasionally hide from the other very active dog that is in the house by going into his crate. He has not shown any aggression towards other dog, even when he is biting Scout’s ears or stealing his toys. He did raise his lip one time when other dog tried to steal a bone. While he loved foster mom right away, it took Scout a few days to warm up to foster dad. He would demonstrate his unease by growling and barking. He now loves foster dad almost as much as foster mom. He also like the teenagers that live in the home. When they come home on the weekend, he will sometimes bark at them until he remembers that he knows them. He does bark at new guests and is slow to warm up. He definitely needs a house with minimal new guests or at least a house with a plan for how to address his unease around unfamiliar people.
He is medium energy when playing with the other dog in home. He is low energy otherwise. We are starting to see more bursts of activity as he loses weight.
If you are interested in meeting Scout, please go to our website.. read about Adoption and submit an application.. His foster home is in San Antonio.
Scout has come into our program because he was too much for his elderly owner.. He is two years old and overweight at 70 lbs. He is already vetted but will be evaluated by his foster home in San Antonio.. Scout should be available around the middle of November.
Recent Available Dogs Aussies
Delta Red, STAR #1787
Delta Red is a charmer! He still has some puppy tendencies as he's only around 9 months old and around 40lbs. He was released to STAR by a family that didn't have time to work ...
Rian, STAR # 1782
Rian weighs approx. 45 lbs. and around 2 years old. He's extremely intelligent and learns very fast. He knows lots of good manners including sit, come, stay, and how to walk on...
Luke, STAR # 1784
Hello my name is Luke. I am a BTM two years old and weigh 35 lbs. I am extremely intelligent and learn very fast. I know how to: Sit, lay down, shake, jump up and roll over so f...
Gaelen, STAR # 1781
Hello everyone! My name is Gaelen and I love people. I'm just under 2 years old and around 55lbs. More about me: I’m always excited to see my person but get a little too exc...